EarthBound:Item Properties Table
|Item Properties Table|
|# of Entries||254|
|Entry Length||39 bytes (0x27)|
|Total Length||9906 bytes (0x26b2)|
|Back to the ROM map|
The Item Properties Table stores most of the data for items, including the name, type, effect, and help text pointer. The first item is named "Null" and has an index of 0.
- Length: 25 bytes (0x18)
- Offset within entry: 0x00-0x18
- Range of values: String of plain EarthBound text
Name of the item in plain EarthBound text.
COLUMNS NL MT ST OP (null, main type, sub type, options) type 00 - 00 00 00 00 - franklin badge type 04 - 00 00 01 00 - teddy bears type 08 - 00 00 10 00 - broken item
Weapon - options =  bash or  shoot type 16 - 00 01 00 00 - bash type 17 - 00 01 00 01 - shoot Armor type 20 - 00 01 01 00 - body type 24 - 00 01 10 00 - arm type 28 - 00 01 11 00 - other
Food items - no options type 32 - 00 10 00 00 - eatten type 36 - 00 10 01 00 - drinks type 40 - 00 10 10 00 - condiment type 44 - 00 10 11 00 - food for all
Special (healing, battle, and plot) items
Healing - no options type 48 - 00 11 00 00 - hand-aid, protractor, ruler - healing items Battle items - direction  = enemy  = party type 52 - 00 11 01 00 - battle offensive items type 53 - 00 11 01 01 - battle defensive items Plot items -  = regular  = works only in specifc area  = works only when talking to right Sprite (door, atm, person) type 56 - 00 11 10 00 - sound stone, meterornium type 58 - 00 11 10 10 - zom paper, hawk eye, bike - Limited area type 59 - 00 11 10 11 - keys, ATM, plot items - used at someone type255 - 11 11 11 11 - Null (item #0)
Cost of item. If zero, item may not be sold or dropped. Items are sold for half of their cost, rounded down.
- Length: 1 byte (0x1)
- Offset within entry: 0x1C
- Range of values: 0x00-0xFF (bit separate, not a number value)
- 0x01 = Ness can use
- 0x02 = Paula can use
- 0x04 = Jeff can use
- 0x08 = Poo can use
- 0x10 = Item is the source or target of an item transformation
- 0x20 = "Give" command disabled (cannot move from one character's inventory to another)
- 0x40 = Unknown; all built-in items have 0x80 set the same as 0x40
- 0x80 = Item disappears after use
- Length: 2 bytes (0x2)
- Offset within entry: 0x1D-0x1E
- Range of values: 0-65535 (0x0000-0xFFFF), but it must be a valid index in the Battle Actions Table
The effect of using the item.
"Strength", "Extra Power Increase", "Extra Power", "Special"
These bytes, with their names listed in the order they appear in the ROM, have different effects depending on the type of the item. The names are not very accurate to what they do, but they have stuck from when the table was first documented. They are abbreviated as STR, EPI, EPW, and SPE in the following list showing their meaning for different types:
Known meanings of bytes 1F-22 for various types. If the type or byte is not mentioned in this list it is either unknown or unused. ITEM TYPE NUMBERS ARE LISTED IN DECIMAL. Type 4 (teddy bears): STR: NPC Battle AI Table entry Type 8 (broken item): EPI: IQ required to fix item EPW: Index of fixed item Food Items (types 32, 36, 40, and 44): EPI: Regular HP recover EPW: Poo HP recover Armor Items: Type 20: STR: Defence EPW: Speed SPE: Protection Type 24: STR: Defence EPW: Luck SPE: Protection Type 28: STR: Defence EPW: Luck SPE: Protection Weapon Items (types 16 and 17): STR: Offense EPI: Poo Offense (unsure for type 17) EPW: Guts (unsure for type 17) SPE: Miss Rate
Help Text Address
- Length: 4 bytes (0x4)
- Offset within entry: 0x23-0x26
- Range of values: 0x00000000-0x00FFFFFF, but it must point to valid text; may or may not require a pointer to the ROM as opposed to RAM
Pointer to the text shown when you select "help" on an item from the inventory screen.
- Store Inventories Table
- Timed Item Transformation Table
- Condiment Configuration Table
- Battle Actions Table