This page, and the associated talk page, are meant for discussion on expanding both the DataCrystal community and the resources that DataCrystal has for community interaction. Some things to consider:
My life's been basically dull these days. I haven't gotten much done these days. Today was a complete loss.
Licensing and policies
A major one. While for copying purposes we're licensed under the GFDL, we also have in the past been pretty militant about a "no lists of contributors" policy on ROM maps...I'm thinking we should start putting sources at the bottom of pages. However, and this is a big however, everyone must realize that all code and information you put here is immediately licensed under the GFDL; that is, "If you don't want your writing to be edited mercilessly and redistributed at will, then don't submit it here."
this seems to be at the top of a lot of games it does not apply to. The intention of the "extensively hacked" (and other modifiers) tag is to give an idea of the completeness of the ROM and RAM maps, as well as the availability of game-specific hacking utilities. Perhaps a guideline page on this is in order?
- Yeah, I have no idea of what the requirements were supposed to be to have that tag. I don't think I pasted any, but I saw it being used where it didnt seem like it should be.
--Hiro1112 09:49, 5 January 2007 (EST)
- Maybe just for games that have level editors built? --Yauch
- But would that work for games like Sim City for example even if we knew everything about it? I agree that some rigid limits would make things simpler though. --TooDice
There are a lot of pages about hacks whose notability for inclusion in this wiki is questionable at best. We should -definitely- have notability guidelines...should we also have an AfD to cull useless and unwanted pages?
- I know this is straying from the original purpose of the wiki somewhat, but a section with a few guides may attract people to the site initially and give them a reason to want to contribute something later. A lot of the older websites with this information are going offline and the original rom hacking community is dissipating. --TooDice
- Wasn't this wiki's purpose to contain "ALL THE HACKING INFO IN THE WORLD!!!!!1111"? That's pretty much from what I gathered. Also, I already put in a "tutorials" link in the GBA template. I think I'll put one in for the other templates, too. --Cat Lover 20:47, 20 April 2007 (EDT)
Spam's becoming a real problem here. Would it be so bad to lock edits to just registered users? Or just the creation of a new page to stop so many junk pages from being created? --TooDice 19:58, 29 April 2007 (EDT)