Data Crystal talk:About
Being marked discussion I assume I can start a public discussion...
Can ROM hacking include emulator hacking as well, and emulator information? Or related game information? Or things we'd like to see if we could find others to work on a project with?
Some examples off the top of my head: 1) The emulator VectorDream doesnt seem to be well known. It's one of the few that's not even on Zophar's Domain which contributes to it's obscurity and the original website it was once on is long gone. A public database of all emulators and information about them would be a good idea.
2) 'Emulator hacking' might include modifying INI files to get them to play more games and how one goes about the process... anyone since the days of UltraHLE knows it can be done, but i've never seen a tutorial on how others done it or i'd try it myself. Centralizing how to, process, and links to such information would also be beneficial.
3) Certain projects like MetalMAME are also unique - modifying the original arcade games to add rock'n'roll digitized audio soundtracks to be played in the background. Centralizing a discussion about 'wishlists' for community projects could act as a catalyst to network interested parties together for doing new groundbreaking and unique projects. But might verge close to that personal messaging service prohibition...
- First, discussion pages are for discussion, as long as it is on topic, it is fine.
- 1) I suppose that makes sense. You cannot do ROM hacking without emulators. Perferably, discussion of emulators would be focused on ones with features to aid ROM hacking like a dubugger, tracer, memory editor, etc.
- 2) I am not sure exactly what information is stored in those INI files you are talking about. As long as it is not copyrighted, it is probably okay, especially if the information is required in order to play a hack.
- 3) I am not sure on that...
- It seems to be the common belief on Acmlm's Board that Zophar's Domain is dying. As such, DataCrystal would like to be not at all reliant on Zophar's if possible. From that, I think emulator listings are pretty much required.
- --AnyoneEB 22:27, 18 Oct 2005 (EDT)
What is the difference between this site and WikiRAM?